Friday, February 17, 2006

Grow Old With You

Like everybody else in this planet, I am afraid of growing old alone.

In the legal academe where we study the intricacies of the grounds and legal actions taken by couples whose marriage cannot work for them in one way or another, the hopeless romantic in me has never been forgotten nor forsaken. I pity them for having had to contract marriage out of any other reasons but love. For taking each other in paper only but in reality, that's just plain crappy and shitty.

I still believe that if you truly love the person whom you had promised to spend your life with, there will always be a way to settle indifferences and make up for your inequities. Otherwise, do not get married at all and add up to the statistic.

I love the idea of taking care of someone and being taken cared of just the same when you're both old and gray...

Funny how I usually imagine how I will look like -- gravity will take its toll on my skin and appearance yet that person can still get to say that I'm the most beautiful woman...

Our sense of hearing will fail us and we will have to shout at each other to convey what we want to say yet when we hold hands and look at each other's eyes, words need not be expressed... we just know that despite aging, our love is sheer timeless.

Then there will be times when our memories will have its lapses and continuously detoriate... True, it will be painful to see your partner becoming senile and all but therein goes the hope that love has created in our hearts -- the mind may forget but the heart never will.

Patience will surely run out, the house will be as tupsy turvy and as smelly as hell, embarrassing moments will occur more frequent and things will be remembered or often times -- otherwise but the vow to stick through thick or thin; for richer and for poorer and in sickness and in health remains unbroken.

On a personal note, I think that's the REAL essence of marriage -- it's not just about the union, the purpose to perpetuate and perform your marital obligations but to love one another unconditionally and without mental reservations. To love and marry, what your partner might become whether be it better or worse and not just for who he/she is now or how he/she looks.

I'd like to grow old with someone whom I truly love. Someone whom I'll look after and will do the same to me. Someone whom I'll be more than willing to trade the years I have left just so that person's life could be prolonged and that person's existence, though quite useless as others may opine, will surely be my moving reason to fulfill my marriage vow... to love and to cherish that person, til death do us part.


Age does not protect you from love.
But love, to some extent, protects you from age.

- Jeanne Moreau

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home