Saturday, December 24, 2005

Maxi and Me

I had the chance to watch this film a couple of days ago at Glorietta. Funny and heart-warming.

I was not quite amused with Maxi and his gay friends since I grew up together with my younger brother who chose to have a sexuality different from that of when he was born.

You should meet my sister cum brother -- I tell you, he's a lot funnier.

What struck me though was the acceptance of his father despite their macho image in their area. Such rare instances! My father accepted my brother easily despite my father's tough personality. My father knew it was a pure personal choice his son made and that he could never undo nor interfere with.

Most gay people I know are still hiding in their closets. Afraid of the repercussions and "shame" they would bring to their family once their well-kept secret is revealed.

I find our society so hypocrite when it comes to our gay and lesbian community. We laugh at them yet we despise the thought that one of our family members might be one of them.

We think how lewd it would be -- a man to man or a femme to femme relationship. And had forgotten that for most of the time, a relationship involves love primarily and not just about sex. We see the dot but not the entirety of the paper.

Homosexuality is not a communicable disease nor a crime.

It's a choice and as a choice, I give them high regards.

It is not embarrassing either to choose your own sexuality nor an aberration of your genetic make up. Moralists and holier than thou will surely debate me about my stand but I say, cast thy first stone.

I respect my gay and lesbian brothers and sisters as much as I respect any person. Their choice of lifestyle doesn't make them any less normal at all. Why be ashamed of them?

They are even a lot greater individual for sticking with their decision and proud of it. They have the guts to go against the tide and be ok with it.

I wish people would stop the prejudice and the judgemental attitude -- they're just manifesting how under developed their mental faculties are.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home