Monday, February 13, 2006

As Simple As That...

I do not worry about my future -- other people do.

I study hard and work doubly harder. I am a self-confessed perfectionist and masochist at the same time. I am both a dreamer and a miracle-worker. I have no problem with the way I rule my life -- some people just can't be happy for me.

In this race that we call life, people tend to measure one's success through acquisition and amassing material wealth. Chief is the rule -- the more expensive it is, the better. Therein lies the conflict. I want to have a simple life. I do not intend to be neighbors with Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala nor be superfriends with rich and the elite class.

So how do I define a simple life?

A simple life need not be lived in a posh or exclusive village or condominium tower. I need not live in the metropolis as well. A laid back life is a welcome sight. A house fronting a body of water where I can have the view of everything money CAN'T buy.

Honestly, it's been years since I've been telling myself that should I graduate and pass the bar exams, I won't be practicing in Manila. I'd like to venture into the countryside and be a legal pain in the ass there...

I'm not much of an adventurist but having spent my entire screwed life here in the big city, I'd like to live somewhere traffic is unheard of, the air is unpolluted and where Php 50.00 goes a long way.

I know my thoughts are just too nuts. A lot of people from the province flock to Manila to seek greener pastures and here I am professing otherwise. My sanity has not escaped me yet (thank God!) and I know what I want.

I need not be a hot shot lawyer nor a famous legal counsel being interviewed in the TV every now and then for handling cases of well known persona. That's not me. Neither it is my dream to leave this land, settle and work abroad.

It has always been one of my principles that if I could make it here, there's no need for me to go out since it will be a piece of cake. The challenge is here. Just that, the bigger money is elsewhere. However, I can live with that.

I am not afraid of the competition nor I am running away from it. I live a different life and one of my goals in life is to create a change. Make a difference. In doing so, I have to look for anothr playing field. One that involves more effort, demands more time, more human interaction yet little compensation... I want to serve people in ways that I can. Have a modest source of income and live a simple yet comfortable life. That's not idealistic crap... That's just me.

A decent house. Food on the table. Beautiful and smart kids (I am predisposed to have kids like that -- blame genetics). A devoted and loving partner. Peaceful sleep at night. Refreshing morning.

Am I dreaming?

Nah. As I write this entry, I'm working on it, baby.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home