Thursday, December 28, 2006

100-Peso Happiness

I'm never a fan of sale nor 99-peso stores or of three (3) items for hundred pesos and other marketing gimmicks. I see them as deception guised making consumers believe they are getting their money's worth. But I frequent Divisoria just the same not because it's my main route going to school nor due to the fact I live just five minutes away from it -- I hate to admit it to the rest of the world but I am self-confessed cheapskate "smart" buyer (ehem!).

Just before Christmas, I bought two of my inaanak a Christmas gift. To be honest, I was not quite satisfied with what I bought but since I was on a tight budget, I had no choice. To think, the items I bought were relatively good.

Just how much is the purchasing power of a hundred peso nowadays?

... 15-peso short from the Php 115 electronic load to be able to call for 13 minutes and send 115 text messages (but there's always the 60 pesos e-load... this goes for smart prepaid subscribers, by the way)
... enough to buy me a 24/7 Sun Call and Text Unlimited which will last for seven (7) days -- that is, if Edwin Manabat and his Sun cohorts work on the resumption of their service in that area!!! (Php 100)
... I can still buy a venti-sized Guava juice at Starbucks and be able to chill there for the rest of the day and still have a 10-peso change. (Php 90)
... Bob Ong's Alamat ng Gubat book (hi Tong!add me sa Friendster!) Php 100 at National Bookstore (I should be credited for plugging his book -- hehehehehehehehehe)
... not enough for a domestic terminal fee, though which used to be just a 100 peso -- now it's 200, but still not a WiFi hotspot!

(i'm tired of enumerating already... will go direct to my point! whew!)

... and a hundred peso PLDT Touch card -- enough to make me call for 34 minutes (should you choose the Tagalog language).

It is my decision and I will stand by it no matter how difficult and heart-wrenching our situation is. Not that I'm complaining. I'm just stating it as a matter of fact, the-person-who-must-not-be-named... (is that you, Mrs. Voldemort?!)

For 34 minutes, I savor every moment. Treat it as if it's always my last call.

Honestly, I used to be a freak when it comes to money -- I spend it as if I'm one of the descendants of Richie Rich, here, there and everywhere but now, I am reformed (alien!!! raise the roof!!!).

I count my change now; no longer an obssessive-compulsive buyer; I rarely take cabs now unless necessary; I try to save and save and save so that for 34 minutes, I become a magician and make our distance disappear.

I have to content myself with what I have now. With that 34 minutes. If only I could reason with the top honchos of PLDT to extend our time and make it last long, even eating buriring for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and midnight snack I will do for them... I will also join Fear Factor should the need arises.

I'm not a masochist. I do not like to inflict pain to myself. I have very low treshold for pain. But, I give credit to Julia Fordham for stating the obvious, indeed, love moves in mysterious ways.

Love demands a leap of faith and so does a big leap from NCR to another distant region.

And even for 34 minutes worth a hundred pesos, indescribable joy sets in my heart.

Happiness comes in many forms... just now that in this life of mine I appreciated how much a hundred peso can make the happiest person out of me.

And should I win a million pesos in Game Ka Na Ba? -- of course I'll no longer buy another Touch card. Instead, a one-way ticket... and leave on a jetplane.

Enough of wishful thinking...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home